Travel by scenic train and ferry from Auckland to Wellington, Picton and Christchurch and enjoy a return rail daytrip from Christchurch to Greymouth on the Tranz Alpine
NOTE: The Coastal Pacific train runs daily throughout the summer season between Christchurch and Picton. The 2019/20 season begins on 27 September 2019 through to 26 April 2020. Outside of these dates you will travel by coach from Picton to Christchurch.
Short Break Inclusions
- Northern Explorer train journey from Auckland to Wellington. The Northern Explorer train service is a scenic rail journey through the five unique geographical regions of the North Island - travelling between Auckland, New Zealand's largest city - home of the Sky Tower, through the central heartland of the North Island to Wellington - New Zealand's harbour capital and arts and culture centre. Along the way, you will see fantastic views of New Zealand farmland, rugged bush landscapes before ascending up the world famous Raurimu Spiral to the volcanic plateau passing the majestic volcanoes of Mt Tongariro, Mt Ngauruhoe and Mt Ruapehu - the home of the North Island skifields and descending through stunning river gorges to the farming landscapes and rocky sea scapes of the lower North Island - all from large panoramic windows and the open air viewing deck of the Northern Explorer train.
- 2 nights in a central 3-star Wellington hotel
- Half-day Wellington City and Bays Tour including the Beehive and Parliament buildings, Historic architecture, Botanic Gardens and Mount Victoria, Wellington harbour and coastline
- Interislander Ferry journey from Wellington to Picton
- 1 night in a 3-star Picton hotel
- Coastal Pacific Train journey from Picton to Christchurch. The Coastal Pacific train operates between the delightful port of Picton - the gateway to the beautiful Marlborough Sounds - to Kaikoura - the home of whale watching and onto Christchurch - the South Island's largest city. Your journey takes you through the wine growing region of Blenheim to the rugged Kaikoura mountain ranges on one side of your train, the Pacific Ocean coastline on the other with views of marine wildlife such as seals and penguins to some of New Zealand's finest horticultural and farmland areas of the Canterbury Plains, all from the comfort of your carriage. NOTE: The Coastal Pacific train runs daily throughout the summer season between Christchurch and Picton. The 2019/20 season begins on 27 September 2019 through to 26 April 2020. Outside of these dates you will travel by Coach from Picton to Christchurch.
- 2 nights in a central 3-star Christchurch hotel
- Daytrip on the Tranz Alpine train from Christchurch to Greymouth return Travelling west crossing the Canterbury Plains, the train slowly ascends through spectacular gorges and river valleys of the Waimakariri River towards the Southern Alps to the alpine village of Arthurs Pass for a short break before descending through the Otira Tunnel to the West Coast of New Zealand's South Island, through lush alpine beech rain forests to Greymouth - a great base for visits to Punakaiki and the always popular glaciers at Franz Josef and Fox Glacier.
Terms and Conditions
Price and itinerary are subject to change and availability. Please refer to your booking confirmation for final details.
Click here for our full terms and conditions.